Nouwen Meditation: All is Clothed in Divine Light Henri Nouwen Society Tuesday, 26 January 2021

 Nouwen Meditation: All is Clothed in Divine Light

Henri Nouwen Society <email_lists@henrinouwen.org>

Tuesday, 26 January 2021 

If you missed the LIVE BIRTHDAY PARTY we had for Henri Nouwen, no worries! We've added this memorable event to our YouTube Channel. We hope you'll take a moment to enjoy the memories and rare video shared!

DAILY MEDITATION | TUESDAY, JANUARY 26, 2021

All is Clothed in Divine Light

God exists, and the meaning of all that I am depends totally on that knowledge. I wonder constantly if I am genuinely allowing my life to be determined by that truth. Maybe part of my reason for hesitating to embrace this truth fully is that it challenges me to give up all control over my life and to let God be God, my God, the God of my neighbor, and the God of all creation. But I also realize that as long as I do not “do” this, my life is an illusion and most of my energy is spoiled in trying to keep that illusion going.

Does all this mean that my thoughts, plans, projects, and ideas no longer matter? That conclusion has been drawn by people who used the spiritual life as a way to manipulate others, and that conclusion has led, sadly enough, to false views on asceticism, obedience, surrender to God’s will, and certain forms of self-denial. The converted person does not say that nothing matters anymore, but that everything that is happens in God and that he is the dwelling place where we come to know the true order of things. Instead of saying: “Nothing matters anymore, since I know that God exists,” the converted person says: “All is now clothed in divine light and, therefore, nothing can be unimportant.” (Henri J. M. Nouwen)

Comment on this Daily Meditation

Facebook ‌ Twitter ‌

"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it..." (PSALM 24:1 (NIV))

VISIT OUR BOOKSTORE

UNITED STATES | CANADA | UNITED KINGDOM

"You are the Beloved", a book by Henri Nouwen

Consider our monthly giving program to sustain the ability to extend Henri's legacy and make his work available to those who seek spiritual formation and nourishment. Click here to sign up today.

Donate

Text excerpts taken from "You are the Beloved" by Henri J.M. Nouwen

© 2017 by The Henri Nouwen Legacy Trust.

Published by Convergent Books.

Photo from V. Dobson.

Scripture reading contributed by L. Yeskoo.

Contact us : admin@henrinouwen.org

1(866)226-2158

henrinouwen.org

Facebook ‌Twitter ‌YouTube ‌Instagram ‌

Henri Nouwen Society

214 - 95 Saint Joseph Street

Toronto, Ontario M5S 2R9 Canada

Comments