Daily Devotional for Tuesday, July 21, 2020 The Upper Room

Daily Devotional for Tuesday, July 21, 2020
The Upper Room <notifications@upperroom.org>
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR TUESDAY, JULY 21, 2020
Sharing Prayer by Connie Downs (California, USA)
READ EPHESIANS 6:12-18
 12 For we are not struggling against human beings, but against the rulers, authorities and cosmic powers governing this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realm. 13 So take up every piece of war equipment God provides; so that when the evil day comes, you will be able to resist; and when the battle is won, you will still be standing. 14 Therefore, stand! Have the belt of truth buckled around your waist,[Ephesians 6:14 Isaiah 11:5] put on righteousness for a breastplate,[Ephesians 6:14 Isaiah 59:17] 15 and wear on your feet the readiness that comes from the Good News of shalom.[Ephesians 6:15 Isaiah 52:7] 16 Always carry the shield of trust, with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the Evil One. 17 And take the helmet of deliverance;[Ephesians 6:17 Isaiah 59:17] along with the sword given by the Spirit, that is, the Word of God; 18 as you pray at all times, with all kinds of prayers and requests, in the Spirit, vigilantly and persistently, for all God’s people.
Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the 
Lord’s people. (EPHESIANS 6:18 (NIV))
Late one evening, my husband became very ill and started bleeding. We rushed him to the hospital. After our very long wait, my husband was finally admitted for further treatment. On my way home, I found myself waiting in a line at a traffic stop where police were checking for drunk drivers. As the line progressed, I wondered, Why tonight? Why now?
When it was my turn, the officer asked if I had been drinking. I replied, “No, I’ve just come from the hospital.” Hearing that, his demeanor changed, and he asked if everything was all right. I replied, “I hope so.” Then he asked if he could pray for me. I immediately agreed, and he offered up a wonderful prayer. He didn’t know the circumstances, but his words were just what I needed to hear. At that moment, we found ourselves linked together as two disciples sharing God’s love.
The next morning, my husband was discharged from the hospital. The health challenges that followed were difficult, but we knew that we were in God’s loving hands.
TODAY'S PRAYER::
Dear Father, thank you for the honor of praying for others. Help us to be aware of the needs of those around us. Amen.
* * *
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Every day I will open my eyes and spirit to opportunities to pray for others.
PRAYER FOCUS::
Police officers.
The Upper Room®
1908 Grand Avenue
Nashville, Tennessee 37212, United States.
Copyright © The Upper Room 2020, All rights reserved.

Comments