The Upper Room Daily Devotional of The United Methodist Church in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "2019 New Year’s Resolution" by Bristol E. DeSpain (Missouri)

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of The United Methodist Church in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "2019
New Year’s Resolution" by Bristol E. DeSpain (Missouri)

(Image: Pixabay)
Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes It was New Year’s Eve and while everyone else was busy preparing for the evening events, I was still thinking about what my New Year’s resolution would be. Then it occurred to me that my family could probably suggest some good resolutions. After all, they know me better than anyone. I carefully considered all of the suggestions and decided on just being me. They probably suggested this because I often worry about everyone else so much that I get lost in their problems, which leaves me no time to just be me. That night as I was getting into my pj’s, I was thinking about what I could do to make this resolution work. Then it hit me: I didn’t have to plan! All I needed was my salvation, my family, and my God.
TODAY'S PRAYER: Heavenly Father, be with us all year long. Help us to focus on you in all that we do, and help us to trust that you are right by our side every day. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
TODAY'S READING: Psalm 67:1-7 Psalm 67:1 Let God grant us grace and bless us; let God make his face shine on us, Selah 2 so that your way becomes known on earth, so that your salvation becomes known among all the nations. 3 Let the people thank you, God! Let all the people thank you! 4 Let the people celebrate and shout with joy because you judge the nations fairly and guide all nations on the earth. Selah 5 Let the people thank you, God! Let all the people thank you! 6 The earth has yielded its harvest. God blesses us—our God blesses us! 7 Let God continue to bless us; let the far ends of the earth honor him. (Common English Bible). Psalm 67:1 For the leader. With stringed instruments. A psalm. A song: God, be gracious to us, and bless us. May he make his face shine toward us, (Selah) 
2 so that your way may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. 
3 Let the peoples give thanks to you, God; let the peoples give thanks to you, all of them. 
4 Let the nations be glad and shout for joy, for you will judge the peoples fairly and guide the nations on earth. (Selah) 
5 Let the peoples give thanks to you, God; let the peoples give thanks to you, all of them. 
6 The earth has yielded its harvest; may God, our God, bless us. 
7 May God continue to bless us, so that all the ends of the earth will fear him.  (Complete Jewish Bible).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
How do I want the Lord to help me be me in the coming year?
PRAYER FOCUS:
Young writers
Living Resolutions
Tuesdsy, 1 January 2019 BY LINDSAY GRAY


They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. (Acts 2:42-43 (NIV))
As a new year begins, I hear conversations about resolutions and goals. We make lists on social media of books we plan to read, places we want to travel, habits we hope to break or take up. Sometimes I wonder if we get too caught up in listing and talking about our hopes and goals. After all, talking about the fresh start offered by our New Year’s resolutions is the easy part. Living those resolutions can be much more challenging.
In this issue of The Upper Room, many of our writers share stories about the challenge and importance of actions that reflect Christ’s grace, love, and mercy to the world — standing up to bullies, serving others without recognition, attending to the small details of daily life. In Acts 2, the early Christian community broke bread together, spent time in fellowship with one another, gave to those in need, and praised God. These actions led others to explore the way of Christ and forged the community that became the church.
In my experience, the faithful actions and attitudes of others have helped me to see Christ in the world, inspiring me to live in more Christlike ways. I think of friends and family who have prayed for and supported me in times of grief and joy. I think of mentors who have listened deeply and given me the gift of presence when I needed guidance.
As you read, reflect, and pray, I hope you will consider these questions: Where do you see Christ at work in your life and in your community? How will you live a life that honors Christ this year? I hope that for all of us, 2019 will be a year filled with the joy of serving Christ through serving others.
___
It’s That Time of Year
Tuesday, 1 January 2019 BY ANDREW GARLAND BREEDEN (TENNESSEE)
I am not one to make New Year’s resolutions. I’m not opposed to them; it’s just that when I think of a new habit or practice I want to start, I tend to do it when I think of it, whether it’s January or June. But this year might be different.
On Christmas Day after we’d opened our presents and had our dinner, we all went to the living room to watch old home movies that my father had made on a VHS shoulder-mount camcorder thirty years ago. Those old movies contained nothing particularly exciting — a panorama of our backyard, my mother sitting in a lawn chair on the patio holding my sister, my father’s new propane grill, a long segment of me in my sandbox eating the sand. Skip ahead several scenes to my grandmother’s dining room where two of my great-grandparents, now deceased, are among those seated around the table.
It startled me to see them in the movie and to realize how quickly three decades can pass. It’s one thing to look at photographs of family members who have died; it’s an altogether ethereal experience to see them move and hear them speak. When the movie ended, I sat in my chair trying not to cry.
I have spent many Christmas Days going back and forth between the excitement of the season and hanging on the verge of tears. I blame my Christmas blues on the fact that the day marks time for me in a way unlike birthdays, the New Year, or any other anniversary. It cuts me down to the quick.
Christmas is the one time of year that I am with all my family, and I catch myself thinking about loved ones who are no longer here and wondering who might not be here next year. Absence fills the house with as much force as the loud chatter in the living room, the smell of food coming from the kitchen, and all the other signs of life around me. I am more aware than ever that time is moving on, and it’s moving faster than I’d like.
The old home movie helped me to see in a new way the truth of what James says: “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes” (4:14, NIV). What sobering news. I am a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
As I reflect on the past year with its successes and failures, gains and losses, I remember the moments of pain and also the ones filled with joy. I think about the many good people in my community who died, those who lost their jobs, and everyone else for whom life dealt a harsh hand. At the same time, I delight in the memory of a long walk alone on the beach one evening last fall and spending time in the company of family and close friends. As I look back over the year, I also look to the one to come and try to imagine what it might bring.
I have decided that were I to make a resolution this year, I would resolve to let life’s fleetingness guide my motives, actions, and decisions — to be kinder, more eager to give, quicker to help, more patient with others, and to spend more time with those I love. And instead of letting the rapid passing of time be an occasion for sorrow, let it be one of joy.
What if I welcomed the knowledge that I am only here for a short while? Instead of leaving me hollow and empty, what if it left me more eager to love and show compassion, more willing to help when called on? What if it left me joyful — joyful in gratitude to God for every moment I am given, no matter how many or how few; joyful in love for my family; joyful in the hope of life beyond this one; joyful in faith that I haven’t seen the last of my great-grandparents and all the others who have gone on?
This year, my hope for you and for me is that we find joy in all the sweet moments and the strength to endure the bitter ones. Here’s to the time we’ve been given, to old memories and to the new ones we will make, and to getting on well in the year to come. Here’s to the opportunity for a fresh start, a wiser mind, and a lighter heart.
Questions for Reflection:
1. What resolutions and plans do you have for the coming year? How will you include God in your plans?
2. Recall your favorite Christmas memory. Why is this memory your favorite?
_______

Comments