Daily Devotional for Monday, August 3, 2020 The Upper Room

Daily Devotional for August 3, 2020
The Upper Room <notifications@upperroom.org>
Mon 8/3/2020 1:16 AM
  •  garyleeparker1953@gmail.com
 
img
 
 
 
 
DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR AUGUST 3, 2020
 
Keep Singing!
 
By Ron L. Keller* (Michigan, USA)
 
(Image: Pixabay)
 
 
READ PSALM 104:31-34
 
Teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God.
 
COLOSSIANS 3:16 (NRSV)
 
 

When my wife and I moved into an assisted-living facility, our minds were alert and active, but our bodies were less than strong. As we settled in, I realized that my ability to think, converse, and lead others was well ahead of many of the other residents. In talking with them, I learned that many were experiencing sadness, even depression. So I thought I would offer encouragement, even in small ways.
I decided to lead an occasional songfest after dinner. The first night, more than 30 people showed up! I used a songbook I had saved from my elementary school years and made copies of the words of some of the songs for everyone. A young man who was an excellent pianist came to accompany us. Through the songs I chose I tried to reveal the presence of God’s Spirit. It worked! The response was positive, so I decided to keep on singing with them. Singing can lift our spirits and point us toward God.

 
 
 
 
TODAY'S PRAYER
 
O God, keep us singing so that we sense your Holy Spirit bringing us encouragement and hope. Amen.
 
* * *
 
 
icon
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
 
The gift of song can draw me close to God and others.
 
 
 
icon
PRAYER FOCUS
 
Residents of assisted-living facilities
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Upper Room®
 
1908 Grand Ave, Nashville, TN 37212
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.
View this email online. | Change my email settings.
Copyright © The Upper Room 2020, All rights reserved.
 
img img img
 

Comments